Here comes spring, and with it the return of patio season in St. Louis! With warmer weather and COVID-19 restrictions loosening up, more and more customers are making the return to on-premise dining. Is your restaurant ready for the summer rush?
Many restaurant owners are turning to tech to make sure they’re providing a streamlined experience for both their customers and their staff. A handheld POS device delivers flexibility and freedom to take orders, process payments and print receipts — right at the table, all from one integrated device. It can also come in handy for food trucks, pop-ups or curbside service.
What is a handheld POS device?
A handheld POS device is a POS system that’s designed to be used on the go, allowing you to complete the sales process without being tied to a traditional countertop cash register. The portable device can be directly integrated with your existing restaurant tech solutions, giving you access to things like inventory, sales data and a variety of mobile payment options, to name just a few.
In today’s post-pandemic world, many guests’ expectations have changed. With a long list of easy-to-use features that allow restaurants to enhance efficiency while maintaining a high level of customer service, these handheld POS devices and all-in-one cloud POS systems are more popular than ever.
Here are a few other reasons to consider equipping your staff with handheld POS devices this spring:
- Handheld POS devices allow servers to send orders to the kitchen and bar in real-time, drastically reducing time spent running back and forth between the bar, kitchen and terminal when taking orders or processing payments. With continued staffing struggles, handheld POS devices can also help you maintain your operations even when your short a few servers.
- A mobile terminal can also be integrated with your inventory management system, making it much easier for servers to answer questions about allergens or availability without having to run back to the kitchen to check.
- By reducing the time spent running around the restaurant and equipping them to confidently answer guest questions about the menu, your servers will be able to focus on providing a five-star dining experience that encourages higher tips and return visits.
- Handheld POS devices facilitate pay-at-table options, which are becoming increasingly popular among restaurants of all types in the aftermath of the COVID-19 pandemic. Giving customers the ability to pay from the table can speed up your operations and improve table turns.
- A mobile POS device provides an opportunity to collect valuable guest data, allowing you to reengage customers with targeted marketing campaigns, loyalty offers and requests for feedback.
- Handheld POS devices allow customers to tap, dip or swipe when paying for an order, meaning all forms of contactless payment (including mobile and NFC) can be accepted. Because the device is connected to your POS systems, all data is automatically stored and backed up online.
- Handheld POS devices use EMV fraud prevention technology, which provides strong card authentication to prevent counterfeit transactions. This protects both you and the customer.
- Handheld POS devices boost your bottom line. SpotOn estimates that adding just three handheld devices allows you to serve at least five additional tables per day, which translates to tens of thousands in new annual revenue.
Handheld devices and other on-the-go tech allow you to boost efficiency, increase sales and connect with customers curbside and at food trucks or pop-ups. With a compact, portable POS device, you can stay synced with your integrated cloud POS system to keep things running smoothly.
Are you ready to empower your staff and your customers while also boosting your bottom line?
For a better understanding of mobile payment solutions and how they can be integrated with your cloud POS system, contact DCRS Solutions today to speak with one of our hospitality tech experts. We’re here to help find the right technology solution for your restaurant!